Broadchurch's Jodie Whittaker Talks To The Yorkshire Post



Broadchurch actress Jodie Whiitaker has been talking to the Yorkshire Post about her role in the drama.
Jodie who plays grieving mother Beth Latimer has been moving audiences with her emotional performance and admits she found the subject matter hard going:

“It was – to say the least – a harrowing shoot to do, not least because we all read, at least once a year, of something like that happening in real life, and I really cannot imagine what hell parents must go through when it does. The news can be so very bleak, some days.”
She adds: “I admit that I was very deeply and profoundly affected by Broadchurch. Chris Chibnall’s research was phenomenal, and we all had to read some very uncomfortable things, but, at the end of every day, however committed I was to it, I went back to a very nice and warm hotel bedroom, and I could talk about other things. When it happens for real, it must be a living nightmare, and it is with you 24/7 – forever.
I could certainly relate to the idea of this small community – because that is the sort of place that I come from. Everyone knows everyone else. But, think about it, when something like this child’s death occurs, everyone becomes a suspect. Who do you trust, who do you believe?"

Like the rest of the cast Jodie is sworn to secrecy over the identity of the killer of 11 year old Danny:

“It was a very rewarding experience for all of us in the cast that Chris and the production people didn’t tell any of us the outcome of the action until we were many weeks into filming. Even now, I am sworn to secrecy about the plot, and how it unravels. I haven’t even discussed it with my husband, or 
my closest friends and family.”

You can read the full interview with Jodie on the Yorkshire Post website here.

Comments