USA Fan Reaction: Broadchurch Episode 1


Wednesday night saw the premiere of David Tennant's new drama, Broadchurch, on BBC America. 
We asked fans on our Facebook page what they thought of the drama, thanks to all of you who replied, we loved reading all your thoughts.

About the episode:

David Tennant and Olivia Colman star as detectives in this eight-part crime thriller written by Chris Chibnall and directed by James Strong.
On a morning in July, the Dorset town of Broadchurch is bracing itself for the annual influx of holidaymakers. But 11-year-old local boy Danny Latimer has gone missing. As his mother Beth (Jodie Whittaker) starts to search frantically for him, local CID officer DS Ellie Miller (Colman) returns to work after a family holiday. But she is shocked to discover that the promotion she thought was hers has gone to DI Alec Hardy (Tennant), whom she has never met before, an outsider to the town with a reputation for failure.
Then the call comes through – Danny’s body has been found on the beach. Preliminary findings suggest that Danny’s death is suspicious, so Miller and Hardy must break the terrible news to Beth, her husband Mark (Andrew Buchan), and Danny’s sister Chloe (Charlotte Beaumont). Hardy believes that Danny must have been abducted and swears to the family he will find whoever is responsible for Danny’s death. As the investigation gets under way, can the friendly and engaging Miller and the rude and abrupt Hardy put aside their differences to work as a team.



Here's a selection of what you had to say:

  • Sheri South I couldn't believe the hour went so fast. Great writing and I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters develop.
  • Sherri Collins Wright Loved it! So worth the wait to finally see it in the US. I didn't read who done it just because I want to be surprised! Lol! Can't wait til next Wednesday! Thank you!
  • Elizabeth Riley The show was stellar and the acting was far more impressive than shows of the same genre. Can't wait for more!
  • Donna Standridge Quite an excellent program. The writing and direction were superb, and the acting on David and everyone else's part were impeccable. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Elisabeth Rambo Nelson As the mother of a son, I found it hard to watch. But I also could not look away. I am invested in this town, in these people's lives, and in finding justice for a child.
  • Lisa Harzold What an amazing show, the acting was spot on & David Tennant was fantastic!! It kept my interest & couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Definately a keeper!!
  • Renee Bray Delk I've been so excited about this show coming to the States! Loved the first episode and can't wait for the next one!!
  • Donna Witteried Well written, well balanced with great nuance acting. Bravo!
  • Mary E. Davis Excellent drama, solid characters that are distinctive and complex. When a drama can draw a strong emotional response in the first five mins, and then ratchet up the suspense and anticipation in the last five, it is one of the signs of strong and powerful storytelling. David Tennant is brilliant, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see him on my tv screen again.
  • Laura Gardner It is very well casted. For a while, I forgot that I was watching the same man who played the tenth doctor. I am invested in this story and hoping that justice is found for the boy. I started crying once the father talked about how whenever the phone rings he is waiting for it to be his son on the other end. Well done, BBC!
  • Ashlee Fields I Loved it!! I can't wait to see what secrets the people of Broadchurch are hiding. As always David Tennant was absolutely FANTASTIC!! I love how he can tell you something with just a look!!
  • Todd Wade I think I might be hooked. Give me one more episode
  • Michele Borna-Stier It's fantastic, I can't wait for episode two. Emotionally gripping. I like how already that just about everyone has a secret they don't want told.
  • Dan Petito Excellent from start to finish. has the feel of a laramie project/twin peaks where the town itself might be the protagonist vs. any individual character. really well done
  • Pamela Bennett Suspense with an intimate voice; characters surrounded by mystery; a setting that's a character in and of itself...what a combination. I am so very grateful to Chris Chibnall's writing genius, as well as to the superb ensemble cast. What a story and what a unique approach to the usual detective genre. David Tennant and Olivia Coleman are perfect foils with remarkable depth of presentation. And this is only the first installment. I'm really anticipating the next episode with a lot of impatience and excitement. I feel like I'm invested in these characters lives already. Fine work, indeed. Thank you, BBC America, for bringing us the best.
  • Hollie Pykonen Broadchurch is a fantastic example of why people say the BBC is taking over America. By far one of the most well-written & suspenseful dramas I've seen. The characters are intricate & so well acted that you can't help but yearn to know more about them. The cast is brilliant with a delightful range. An emotional ride that I enjoyed so much it made me watch it twice in one night. I anticipate the next episode more than any other show on TV. I've taken Wednesday nights off work for awhile. David Tennant drew me in, Broadchurch made me stay. Well done.
  • Chantele Gay I loved it as well! Been looking forward to this show for months and was not disappointed!David was great and so was the rest of the cast!Don't think I've ever cried so much during a tv show,can't wait for next week!
  • Andrew Adams Broadchurch is one of those shows where the intensity of the drama is amplified by the realism of the setting and the skill of the actors. It's also great to see some familiar faces.
  • Marsha Weaver Best new show I've seen in awhile. David Tennant didn't disappoint
  • Tiana Baebler Brajkovich Brilliant and heartbreaking. Has all the makings of the next Twin Peaks.
  • Michele Salerno I had been waiting for this for months. My anticipation for a great show was fulfilled! This is going on my"Watch Every Week List"
  • Amber Baker One episode and I am already hooked. Beautiful acting, writing, and directing.
  • Angie K Long It was over too soon. I am wondering also how much editing they've done to fit in the commercials on BBCA . . . very well done. I am also hooked.
  • Wendie Vanderwater I thought it was very well made. The story is compelling and I can't wait until next week. Also I enjoyed seeing The Doctor and Rory in different roles.
  • Sarah Preston This show makes me wish I lived in Britain. I watched it because David Tennant was in it, and now I don't care that he is. The show is AMAZING. The actors are great, the story is thrilling. Why the hell can't America produce TV like this?
  • Beth Moore It was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and at the end, I just wanted more!!! David Tennant's character was interesting in the way that he had no social skills at all.
  • Cathy Field It's brilliant. The cinematography draws you in, and the writing makes the character's grief feel intimate. When the mother is running toward the beach in slow motion, your heart stops with her. Beautifully shot and conceptualized. I'm eager to see where this series goes... plus, it has David Tennant and Arthur Darvill!
  • Brandy M. Cruz My family loved it! Olivia Colman and Jodie Whittacker both did such a wonderful job with the emotional scenes. David Tennant was a very strong lead actor whose character clearly has a lot of baggage. I've been avoiding spoilers, so I can't wait to see how it all unfolds and see if my guess for the guilty party is correct.
  • Jonathan Sanchez Incredible acting across the board. I'm completely hooked.
  • Amy Wildcard Keiter Brilliant and intriguing. There is a sincerity in the acting for the mother that brings a sharp reality to the situation.
  • Zoe DeSousa It's absolutely brilliant! I love how everyone has a dark secret - even Hardy. Can't wait to figure out what it is!
  • Kitty Sherlock Loved it! Holy emotional, though! But I loved that, it makes it feel more realistic. Really well written, great story line, and I loved the characters too. Can't wait for the next episode!
  • Audrey Rowden I'm being held captive by Broadchurch! I'm unable to move while watching being spellbound by the intense drama & mystery! The most brilliant "Whodunit" I've seen in quite a long time! Cheers to BBC & Broadchurch! Tennant, you are fabulous!
  • Lynne Vreeland-Schnuth I was completely blown away! It has become my new addiction!
  • Carol Kauffman Well-written, beautifully acted, heart-wrenching story. Love it.
  • Carol Clark Spruill I loved it! DT is such a great actor I totally lost the fact I was watching him and got caught up in Alex Hardy.
  • Elisa Braghin I'm soooo desperate for the second episode that one week it's going to be too long!
    I miss the warm David Tennant, but loved the dark and complex character.
  • Ginger Crawford While all of the actors in this are wonderfully and carefully cast, I have to hand it to Tennant and Colman. David owns every part he has ever played, but in this series, even more so. Watch his walk and body language...he is world-weary, walking a stony path on which he can find no mark to show him where to go. His acting is even more liquid in this than usual. I have before and re-assert now, this man is the greatest acting talent to come along since Anthony Hopkins. Chibnall has soared with the writing in this. The quiet tension and verisimilitude are frighteningly powerful. One word description? PERFECTION.
  • Anne Klockenkemper It has definitely hooked me. All the characters are so well-acted, and I can't wait to see the mysteries of the townspeople unfold.
  • Sammy Rose I absolutely loved the show! I watched the preview online just cause I think David Tennant is brilliant and I miss him on Doctor Who, but I think I found a new favorite show!!
  • Patti Browning Broadchurch starts rolling right out of the gate. Abrasive big city detective meets soft-hearted local and both butt heads against the backdrop of a young boy's murder. Tennant is brilliant as Hardy, whose dread and desperation just roll off his shoulders in palpable waves. Colman's Ellie is a shattered innocent whose slow movement towards a hesitant cynicism is a study in subtlety. The first episode is a slow moving train. I can't wait to go along for the rest of the ride.
  • Selena Lowe This is one of the most emotional and riveting series premieres ever! Loved it!
  • Emily Bereiter Loved the atmosphere and overall mystery! Can't wait see how Ellie and Alec work together. And the scene with the dad viewing the body was heart-wrenching!
  • Carol Ann Matson I loved it and thought everyone did a great job of acting. After only one episode I wanted to know who the killer was and why they killed an innocent young boy, it certainly leaves you wanting more. Great job everyone.
  • Jenn Toozdötter Excellent drama that shows how a tragedy can effect an entire community. I have a hunch I will be on the edge of my seat until the very last moment!
  • Bobbie Kirby So many suspects! I loved this first episode, however, too many commercials, BBC America! At least let us watch more than a few minutes before you interrupt the flow of the story!
  • Liana Carbón Apart from the fact that I could listen to David Tennant read the phone book anytime anywhere, I thought that all of the actors were absolutely spot on terrific! Cinematography was excellent, and pacing was perfect. I couldn't believe when the hour was up and I realized I had to wait a whole week before I could sit enthralled once again. Absolutely top notch show. It will surely win every single award possible!
  • Vickie H Gold The story caught me from the start. Great acting. Love David Tennant anyway. Cannot wait for more . One thing I wonder, why does Fox feel the need to re-do this series in America. I am an American and can enjoy it as is. After all, we do speak the same language don't we? Anyhow, love this series already.
  • Sean Wardak David Tennant knocks this out if the park. And the lady who plays young dannys mother is so compelling. great work all of the way around.
  • Audra Ann Morton Simply amazing. I couldn't keep my eyes off the episode for one moment. I bawled along with the parents when they found out little Danny was dead. Very emotional, splended.
  • Shawna Walls It was brilliant. It toyed with my emotions so very much. The storyline is heart shattering and it leaves you with many questions. The acting is amazing; I actually recognized several actors as well. David and Olivia are wonderful together.
  • Edith Rudenstein Like a book I can't put down it left me wanting more.
  • Joy Shelton Warren I'm hooked now, on Broadchurch. Love David Tennant. Great actor. And always will be my favorite Dr. Who. But I love to see the full spectrum of his acting abilities. Way to go, David.
  • Trish Jordan British television is so much better than American. The emotions are incredible! The character development is outstanding.
    I feel many twist are coming to Broadchurch!
    BTW - I love David Tennant!!!
  • Kathleen Vess Valvo I thought it was great. Shows how great an actor David Tennant is. He can do anything.
  • Eva Kenworthy Oh god, so good. I'm in for a long 8 weeks! David Tennant is such a great actor. Thanks for getting us hooked! This show combines my favorite things - David Tennent, murder mysteries, and the BBC.
  • David Hirsh David Tenant's character is complex. He is charismatic, and a perfectionist for himself and demanding of others. Yet, something has happened in the recent past that stalled his career and sent him to Broadchurch. There were several references to this and apparently whatever happened was famous in England (or the fictional England of Broadchurch). Whatever it was has not been revealed to us. I look forward to seeing who this develops given the personality issues between the new guy who knows nobody but knows how to run an investigation of the type in the story, and the one who was passed over for his job, who knows everybody, but seems to lack competency and demeanor to run the type of investigation in the story.
  • Ange Bataluna I was totally sucked in and on the edge of my seat for the whole hour! Well done!
Broadchurch continues on BBC America on Wednesday 14th August at 10pm/9c

Comments