Arthur Darvill Will Return For Broadchurch 2



Arthur Darvill has confirmed that he will return as town vicar Paul Coates for the second series of Broadchurch, even if it is just for a cameo appearance.

Talking to The Big Issue, he said “I might have put my foot in by saying I’ll be in the second season but I honestly don’t know anything other than that.

“I haven’t read any scripts. For all I know I could be in the first episode for ten minutes – I’ve just been told that I’ll be in it. I signed on for the first season without seeing a script and I’m just proud to be involved in any capacity.”

At the moment very little is known about the sequel to the hit ITV drama which also starred David Tennant and Olivia Colman. Series creator Chris Chibnall has confirmed that he has started work on the new story which, it's promised, will be very different to the first series, and could even be a prequel. There is no word on whether David Tennant will be involved, but both Olivia Colman (Ellie Miller) and Simone McAullay (Becca Fisher) have said that they have been asked back. 

Arthur also comments on why he believes that Broadchurch was such a success and how broadcasters should learn lessons from how it was created.

“It [the success] is a testament for people wanting to write something and not being told by producers, TV companies and focus groups what they should be writing,” he said. “They are writing something from their heart and the companies are putting it on. Everything is so on-demand and catered for an audience now that Broadchurch should be a wake-up call to commissioners and producers.”


Arthur has composed the musical score for The Lightning Child, a reworking by Che Walker of Euripides' The Bacchae which has just opened at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. Visit the Globe website for more information.






Comments